Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Die Hard (To Improve Procrastination)


This is my first essay. I will write more as soon as something bothers me. Today I am writing about books. 

When I was old enough to read, I immediately started to read books. I learned that reading a book could help you with adding information to your brain, which you later are able to use or not use, just as you please. I 
also learned, that reading a book could simply be a form of full enjoyment. In the end it doesn't really matter if you read a book, because you will always forget what it said in a book unless you are truly interested in the matter of the book. That was the turning point for me, because personally, I am not interested in matters of books. Maybe I am rather interested in the sound that the dominoes make, that the old men play with in front of my house. I remember playing dominoes as a child but I rather wainterested in the domino effect than the actual game (creating a domino effect with books turned out be a fun activity to me unawares).

In my free time I never read books, on occasions* I do, but most likely I wont read a book in my free time. But, a
s told above, I started to read books at an early age. Then, when I turned fifteen, sixteen and seventeen, I read most of the books. I read them all, you know, those novels they make you read, the ones you're supposed to read and the ones you desire to read at that age. But then I got tired of the stories and I didn't want to hear anyone's stories anymore. I thought they were lies, someone else's fabrications. I believed that I would like them much better if they were true, but what other does fiction have to offer, than just a collection of factoids and wishful thinking.

I started reading biographies instead, and although they offered me a good amount of real information, I realized very quickly that they have been written about people and events by other people, in most cases the authors were total strangers to the person they had been writing about. It was clear to me that I had to diversify my interests and I started reading autobiographies, because it crossed my mind, that only autobiographies could tell the ultimate truth. It didn't take much time for me to find out for myself, that autobiographies over all must be the biggest collections of factoids of all, because they are written by characters of the worst kind, the ones that create their own worlds within their lives, the ones that fabricate stories and fable like no other, just to remain in the world and to stay on top of it.


If I look at a book now, it has mostly only pictures in it and is some kind of work that is justified as a kind of art, that has been dealt with ad 
nauseam. Who cares? People will always like it. You know, I want Sylvia Plath's ghost to write an autobiography. There is a saying, that only children and fools speak the truth. It is too bad that the majority of children and fooldon't write books. However after I came to that conclusion, I stopped reading books.


*M
eaning that, if a book of extraordinary historical or literary importance that I haven't read yet catches my eye and/or innermost interest, I will probably read it, which CAN happen but most likely will result in disappointment. My favorite novelare "Franny & Zooey", "The Picture of Dorian Gray", and of newer work "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" and "The Hottest State". I am a fan of William Blake's prose and Noel Coward's plays. My favorite play of all time though is "Spring Awakening" by Frank Wedekind. I always have been a fan of British writers, but I love myself some Walt Whitman on a rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment